Public Rooms Policy
To ensure a pleasant, contemporary, and user-friendly environment the Mount Pleasant Public library has rooms available for public use. There are two small study rooms, one large study room and a programming room available. They are to be used for educational, cultural, intellectual, or civic activities only. These rooms are available during times when they are not in use for library or library-sponsored programs and activities. The rooms are only available during the hours the library is open.
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Saturday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Availability is on a first come, first-serve basis. Individuals may not profit from, nor use the library’s facilities to run a business.
General Rules and Policies
·Alcoholic beverages and smoking are not permitted in the library
·Groups may not store or leave their equipment in the library.
·The public rooms are not available for receptions or private parties.
·Groups should notify the library as far in advance as possible, but at least 24 hours in advance, of cancellations.
·The use of a public room by a non-library group shall not be publicized in such a way as to imply library sponsorship of the group’s activity, unless the activity is truly and formally being co-sponsored by the library.
·The name, address or telephone number of the library may not be used as the contact address or headquarters of an organization. A contact name and telephone number must be given in any publicity for meetings or programs held at the library.
·The City of Mt. Pleasant and the Mt. Pleasant Public Library and its employees are not responsible for accidents, injuries, loss or damage to individuals or their personal property that may occur while using the public rooms.
·The library reserves the right to impose any additional rules or regulations, or to set special rental and use arrangements, whether or not expressly provided herein, which may be necessary for the best interests of the library in the operation of its facilities and, as such, they shall be binding on the applicant/user.
·Users of these rooms are expected to follow the library’s rules of conduct.
The Programming Room is used mainly for children’s library programs. However, on occasion the public may request to use the room. The request must be made using the library’s request form and at least two weeks before the required date. The Youth Librarian and the Director must give final approval. A $20.00 damage deposit may be requested which is refundable if the room and equipment in the room pass inspection by library staff. Library use takes precedence.
1. The request must be made using the library’s request form and at least two weeks before the required date.
2. The director and youth librarian must approve the request.
3. The room can only be used during library hours.
4. The room and the equipment in the room must be returned to original placement and not damaged.
5. Any set up or rearrangement is the responsibility of the group using the room.
6. If special equipment is needed a written request must be given to the library at least a week before the room’s usage.
7. Only soft drinks, coffee or tea and light snacks are permissible. The user of the room must dispose of all garbage from their use and make sure to clean up spills.
8. The library will not provide supplies for programs or meetings including garbage bags etc.
9. The $20.00 damage deposit will be refunded after the room has passed inspection by the youth staff.
10. An adult leader must be present at all times and responsible for the supervision of any group of minors (under the age of 18) using the program room.
Large Study Room
The Mt. Pleasant Public Library has provided a large study room for use by the general public. The room may be reserved. Groups of up to 15 people may use the room for studying, small meetings, and programs. Patrons must get permission from the Customer Service Desk before using the room. Library use takes precedence.
1. The room may be reserved by phone or in person.
2. A $20.00 refundable damage fee may be charged depending on use.
3. People using the room must come to the Customer Service Desk to sign in and have the room unlocked.
4. No more than 15 people should use the room at a time.
5. Room can be reserved from ½ an hour to all day.
6. Room can only be used when library is open.
7. Only soft drinks, coffee or tea and light snacks are permissible. The user of the room must dispose of any and all garbage from their use and make sure to clean up spills.
8. The room and the equipment in the room must be returned to original placement and not damaged.
9. If special equipment is needed a written request must be given to the library at least a week before the room’s usage.
10. Library will not provide supplies for programs or meetings.
11. Any set up or rearrangement is the responsibility of the group using the room.
Small Study Rooms
The small study rooms have been provided for use by the general public. There are specific rules and regulations for their use. The rooms may be reserved in person or over the phone. The rules are as follows:
1. The study rooms can be reserved in person or over the phone.
2. People requesting use of the study rooms must come to the Customer Service Desk to sign in and have the rooms unlocked.
3. The study rooms are to be used for studying, accessing the Internet for reference, taking tests, tutoring and any other activity approved by the Director.
4. Game playing of any kind is strictly prohibited.
5. Time limit for usage of the study rooms is 2 hours. Time can be extended by the library staff for special circumstances or if no one else needs the room.
6. No food or drink is allowed in the study rooms.
7. Only three people can be in a study room at a time.
Failure to abide by these policies is justification for denying further use of the rooms.
Reviewed & Approved by the Mount Pleasant Board of Trustees
June 7, 2011